Musopia privacy notice
Effective date: 12th September 2022
Thank you for using our service! This Privacy Notice describes:
- What personal data about you we collect, the ways we collect and why we do so
- How we use your personal data, and
- The choices you have about your personal data.
This Privacy Notice applies to Musopia services, websites and related services, we call them all “Service”. We may update this Privacy Notice every now and then by posting a new version on our website. If we make any material changes, we will notify you by posting a notice in the Service prior to the change becoming effective. Your continued use of the Service after that effective date will be subject to the new Privacy Notice.
If you have questions about data protection, or if you have any requests for resolving issues with your personal data, we encourage you to primarily contact us through the service so we can reply to you more quickly. You can contact us regarding privacy matters via e-mail at: firstname.lastname@example.org
The data we collect
Data you provide us:
- Contact information (such as name and email address)
- User name and password hash (or an authentication token*)
- Profile information – your skill level, age range, music genre preference
- Your messages to the Service (such as chat logs and user support tickets)
- Other data you choose to give us (such as data to identify a lost account
- Data about your use of the Service, including:
- Screen navigation
- Video starts, progress and completions
- Tuner starts, interactions, completions
- Lesson starts, progress and completions
- Other exercise starts, progress and completions
- Song catalogue and song play starts, progress and completions
- Purchase screens views, purchase screen interactions and outcomes
- Rating prompt views, interactions and outcomes
- In-app questionnaire answers
- Subscription information:
- trial and subscription starts, cancellations and expiry
- subscription payments (date, expiry, product identifier, currency, amount billed, purchase transaction identifiers)
- subscription status: whether you are premium or not, and when this status expires (if applicable)
Additionally, If you use a third party authentication like:
- google account
- apple account
We receive the respective authentication providers token in order to authenticate you as a user of our services.
Data we collect automatically:
- Data about your user account service progress
- Your IP address
- Installation and mobile device identifiers (user_pseudo_id, device_id)
- Data about your device, such as device name and operating system, browser type and language
- Experiment identifiers (which content experiment groups you might be randomly assigned to)
- Data we collect with cookies and similar technologies (see more below)
- General location data (limited to city level)
Data we collect from/via our partners:
- Data we receive if you link a third party tool with the Service (such as google accounts, apple account or other authentication provider account if applicable)
- Demographic data (such as to determine the coarse location of your IP address)
- Data to fight fraud (to prevent billing and refund abuse in services or to combat click fraud in advertising)
- Data from platforms that the services run on (such as to verify payment)
- Data for advertising and analytics purposes, so we can provide you a better Service
Why do we collect your data
To make the Service more suitable for our users.
- To provide and maintain good Service to our users, we have a legitimate interest to collect and process necessary data to
- Update and develop user profiles
- Develop and improve the Service and user experience
- To experiment service and content improvements, to analyse the results of these experiments and to thus improve the service and content offering
- Manage our relationship with you
- Customize your Service experience (like language version)
- Respond to your comments and questions and provide user support
- Provide you MUSOPIA offers in the Service as well as in other websites and services, and by email
- Send you related information, such as updates, security alerts, and support messages
To keep the Service safe and fair.
Ensuring a level playing field in the Service is a top priority for us. For more information on our acceptable use policy, see the MUSOPIA Terms of Service.
In order to keep the Service and its social features safe and fair, to fight fraud and ensure acceptable use otherwise, we have a legitimate interest to process necessary data to
- Analyze and monitor use of the Service across the devices you might use
- Moderate chats and support contacts either automatically or manually
- Take action against fraudulent or misbehaving users
To analyze, profile, and segment
In all of the above cases and purposes, we may analyze, profile and segment all collected data, in order to:
- Enable appropriate and timely marketing of our services to the most appropriate and interested audiences
- To determine the effectiveness and profitability of our marketing efforts to enable more users benefit from our services
- To improve our content and feature offering to users of different skill levels, learning preferences and music tastes
Who can see your data
Apart from MUSOPIA, your data can be accessed by others in the following situations:
Partners working for MUSOPIA
MUSOPIA has partners to perform services for us. These partners process your data only at and according to MUSOPIA´s instructions to provide the Service, such as hosting, user support, advertising, analytics and fraud prevention.
Other companies and public authorities
In order to combat fraud and illegal activity, we may exchange data with other companies and organizations and provide it to public authorities in response to lawful requests.
We may also disclose your data based on your consent, to comply with the law or to protect the rights, property or safety of us, our users or others.
International data transfers
Our Service is global by nature and your data can therefore be transferred to anywhere in the world. Because different countries may have different data protection laws than your own country, we take steps to ensure adequate safeguards are in place to protect your data as explained in this Notice. Adequate safeguards that our partners may use include standard contractual clauses approved by EU Commission.
Your rights and options
Access the personal data we hold about you.
If you request, we will provide you a copy of your personal data in an electronic format.
Your other rights
You also have the right to correct your data, have your data deleted, object how we use or share your data, and restrict how we use or share your data. You can always withdraw your consent, for example by turning off GPS location sharing in your mobile device settings.
We will respond to all requests within a reasonable timeframe. If you have an unresolved privacy or data use concern that we have not addressed satisfactorily, please contact us. You may also contact your local data protection authority within the European Economic Area for unresolved complaints.
Cookies and similar technologies
How do we protect your data
In order to help ensure a secure and safe user experience, we are continuously developing and implementing administrative, technical and physical security measures to protect your data from unauthorized access or against loss, misuse or alteration.
We retain your data for as long as your account is active or as needed to provide you the Service. We will for example periodically de-identify unused service accounts and we regularly review and de-identify unnecessary data.
Note that if you ask us to remove your personal data, we will retain your data as necessary for our legitimate business interests, such as to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, and enforce our agreements.
Opt out of digital advertising and marketing messages
You can opt-out of interest-based advertising on mobile applications by checking the privacy settings of your Android or iOS device and turning off “Allow Apps to Request to Track” or selecting “Limit Ad Tracking” (Apple iOS) or “Opt-out of Interest Based Ads” (Android).
You may opt out of receiving promotional communications, such as marketing emails from us by following the instructions in such communications, or by changing your in-app settings. The updated settings may not be effective immediately.
Age limits [only relevant if consent is required]
We do not knowingly collect or solicit personal data about or direct or target interest based advertising to anyone under the age of 13 or knowingly allow such persons to use our Services. If you are under 13, please do not send any data about yourself to us, including your name, address, telephone number, or email address. No one under the age of 13 may provide any personal data.
If we learn that we have collected personal data about a child under age 13, we will delete that data as quickly as possible. If you believe that we might have any data from or about a child under the age of 13, please contact us. email@example.com